Varutharacha chicken curry. Another side dish with thick gravy. It can go as side dish for rice, pulao, roti etc. Spicy food lovers out there….its really going to be a treat for your taste buds.
Varutharacha Chicken Curry Recipe
- Chicken – ½ kg (cut into medium pieces)
- Onion – 2 big
- Ginger garlic paste – 4 tsp
- Tomato – 2
- Chilli powder – 2 tsp
- coriander powder – 4 tsp
- Turmeric powder – 1 tsp
- Curry leaves
To roast and grind:
- Coconut grated – ½ cup
- Dry red chilli – 4
- Fennel seeds (perumjeerakam) – ½ tsp
- Cardamom – 2
- Cloves – 2
- Cinnamon – a small piece
- Whole pepper – 1 tsp
- Small onion – 4
- Heat oil in a pan. Add curry leaves and sliced onions.
- Cook with the pan covered till onion turns golden brown. Give a stir in between.
- Add ginger garlic paste. Cook for 2-3 mins.
- Add sliced tomato and cook till it turns soft
- Add chilli, coriander, turmeric powder and cook for 2-3 mins.
- Add chicken pieces and mix well.
- Add 2 cups of water and cook with the pan covered till chicken is cooked ( approx 20-25 min)
- In another pan heat oil and add all ingredients to roast and grind.
- Fry till the coconut turns golden brown. Remove from fire and let it cool. Grind the same well.
- Add little water to the ground masala and make it to a paste.
- Add it to the cooked chicken and cook on low flame for 6-8 mins. Remove from fire.
- Add 3 tsp of oil/ghee on the top and keep pan closed for some time. Serve hot.