I generally prepare this dish when I am lazy to cut vegetables or when I suddenly realize there is no vegetable left to make the veg dish. What ever it is I like this dish a lot and enjoy having it when ever I cook.
Vanpayaru Thoran Recipe
- Vanpayaru – ¾ cup
- Mustard seeds – ½ tsp
- Small onion – 4
- Red Chilli Powder – ¾- 1 tsp
- Garlic paste – ½ tsp
- Turmeric powder – ½ tsp
- Grated coconut – ½ cup
- Curry leaves – few
- Water – ¼ cup
- Take vanpayaru and 2 cup of water in a cooker and pressure cook till its cooked.
- Heat oil in a nonstick pan and crackle mustard seeds.
- Add sliced small onions and curry leaves.
- Once onion becomes soft add garlic paste. Cook for 2-3 min.
- Add chilli and turmeric powder and mix well.
- Add cooked vanpayaru and mix well.
- Add grated coconut and cook for another 2-3. Serve hot.
Everyone says to soak vanpayaru overnight for faster cooking. But the taste goes down. So I never soak it. Try this method. Take vanpayaru with almost 2 cups of water in a pressure cooker and cook till 2 whistle is out. Switch of the stove. When steam goes completely open the cooker and add salt. Cook again till 1 more whistle is out. Let the steam goes completely and then use it to make any dish. This method takes a little longer time but it gives a great taste to your dish. Thanks to my sis mother in law for this tip.