Varutharacha chicken curry. Another side dish with thick gravy. It can go as side dish for rice, pulao, roti etc. Spicy food lovers out there….its really going to be a treat for your taste buds.
Varutharacha Chicken Curry Recipe
- Chicken – ½ kg (cut into medium pieces)
- Onion – 2 big
- Ginger garlic paste – 4 tsp
- Tomato – 2
- Chilli powder – 2 tsp
- coriander powder – 4 tsp
- Turmeric powder – 1 tsp
- Curry leaves
To roast and grind:
- Coconut grated – ½ cup
- Dry red chilli – 4
- Fennel seeds (perumjeerakam) – ½ tsp
- Cardamom – 2
- Cloves – 2
- Cinnamon – a small piece
- Whole pepper – 1 tsp
- Small onion – 4
- Heat oil in a pan. Add curry leaves and sliced onions.
- Cook with the pan covered till onion turns golden brown. Give a stir in between.
- Add ginger garlic paste. Cook for 2-3 mins.
- Add sliced tomato and cook till it turns soft
- Add chilli, coriander, turmeric powder and cook for 2-3 mins.
- Add chicken pieces and mix well.
- Add 2 cups of water and cook with the pan covered till chicken is cooked ( approx 20-25 min)
- In another pan heat oil and add all ingredients to roast and grind.
- Fry till the coconut turns golden brown. Remove from fire and let it cool. Grind the same well.
- Add little water to the ground masala and make it to a paste.
- Add it to the cooked chicken and cook on low flame for 6-8 mins. Remove from fire.
- Add 3 tsp of oil/ghee on the top and keep pan closed for some time. Serve hot.
Tagged: chicken curry with thick gravy, chicken gravy recipe indian style, chicken masala, kerala chiekn curry, kerala cooking, kerala cuisine, kerala dishes, kerala recipes, south indian recipes, spicy chicken curry, Varutharacha Chicken Curry ( Chicken with Roasted Coconut) Kerala Style