Here in Johannesburg Veg options are always less for us. Once in Fruit & Veg store I was wondering what to buy, when my husband told me about this combination which north indians used to make. I thought to make it in Kerala style and it turned out to be a very good side dish. We prepare it once every week.
Dal Palak in Kerala Style Recipe
- Dal – 100g
- Palak – 250g
- Mustard seeds – ½ tsp
- Small onion – 4
- Curry leaves – 8
- Green Chilli – 3
- Dry red chilli – 3
- Ginger garlic paste – 2 tsp
- Turmeric powder – 1 tsp
- Sliced coconut pieces (thengakothu) – ¼ cup
- Cook dal in a pressure cooker and keep it ready.
- Heat oil in a nonstick pan and splutter mustard seeds.
- Add sliced small onions and curry leaves.
- Once onion is soft add ginger garlic paste and green chilli. Cook for 4-5 min.
- Add sliced coconut pieces (thengakothu), dry red chilli and turmeric powder and cook for 2-3 min.
- Add palak and cooked dal and mix well. Cook pan covered for 4-5 min.
- Mix well again and cook without lid till it becomes dry.
- Server hot with rice.