In my early days I hardly used to prepare Upma. After marriage one day my husband told me to prepare upma for breakfast. I immediately told yes and it was a big flop. Tried it gain 2-3 times and same story got repeated. Later I realized that I was not roasting rava. Now I am very confident J and I have a good recipe for all of you. It’s so easy and quick to make that when ever I am little lazy to make breakfast I immediately make upma. I use my dear friend Rakhi’s mum recipe. Once again thanks Aunty!!!!
- Rava – 1 ½ cup
- Mustard seeds – ½ tsp
- Urad dal – 2 tbsp
- Small onion – 3
- Green Chilli – 1
- Ginger – ½ tsp (finely chopped)
- Grated carrot – ½ cup
- Water – 1 & 3/4 cup
- Curry leaves – few
- Heat a pan and roast rava in a moderate heat, stirring constantly, till it becomes light brown in colour.
- Keep the roasted rava aside.
- Heat oil in the stick pan and crackle mustard seeds.
- Add urad dal and curry leaves fry till they change color and becomes crisp.
- Add onion and green chilli.
- Once onion is soft add ginger. Cook for 2-3 min.
- Add grated carrot and mix well.
- Add water. Mix well and wait till water starts boiling well.
- Add roasted rava and mix well.
- Keep the pan closed and switch of the stove.
- After 7-8 min mix well again so that no lumps are there. Serve hot.