Can you make something special with Unakka chemmeen? For most the answer will be ‘No’. For me also it was ‘No’ until I tasted this curry made by my Mother in law. It’s so simple to make and tastes great and it will stand with any Non-veg curry you make. Try it out for a change 🙂
Unakka Chemmeen Ularthiyathu Recipe
Ingredients: (Serves: 3-4)
- Unakka chemmen – 1 cup
- Small onion – ½ cup
- Ginger garlic paste – 3 tsp
- Red chilli powder – ½ tsp
- Kashmiri chill powder – ½ tsp
- Turmeric powder – ½ tsp
- Sliced coconut pieces (thengakothu) – ¾ cup
- Vinegar – 1 tsp
- Curry leaves – few
- Oil – 4 Tbsp
(Note: 1 cup = 250 ml, Vary the amount of chilli powder as per your spice level)
- Remove the head of dried prawns. Wash it and keep it ready
- Heat oil in a pan and add crushed small onion and curry leaves.
- When onion becomes soft add ginger garlic paste and sauté for a min.
- Add all the spices and sauté for a min.
- Add vinegar and salt and mix well
- Add coconut pieces and dried prawns mix so that its coated well with masala
- Keep the pan covered and cook in medium flame for 6-8 min or till prawns are cooked. (Keep stirring in between and sprinkle little water if masala is sticking to the pan) Serve hot