Is there any special curry which your Father used it prepare? Well in my case its this Beef curry Kerala style. I remember during our childhood days my father used to prepare this special curry only for some Sunday lunch. We used to rush from our Church catechism classes to have this special lunch. Since it was prepared occasionally, the demand always goes up. Now its been a very long time that I got to taste this curry, so I recollected the recipe and tried it myself. It came out good, but since my Father used to prepare it in earthen ware it had a very special taste. Any way my Family here liked it a lot and I have decided to make it again when ever I require curry with good gravy. Tried it out if you are looking for a curry with good gravy. Happy Cooking 🙂
Nadan Beef Curry Recipe
Ingredients: (Serves 4-5)
- Beef – ½ kg (cut into small pieces)
- Oil – 5 Tbsp
- Onion – 2 big
- Fennel seeds (perumjeerakam) – ½ tsp
- Ginger garlic paste – 4 tsp
- Tomato – 2 medium
- Green chilli – 2
- Red chilli powder – ¾ -1 tsp
- Kashmiri chilli powder – ¾ tsp
- Pepper powder – ½ tsp
- Turmeric powder – 1 tsp
- Coriander powder – 4 tsp
- Garam Masala – 1 ½ tsp
- Water – ½ cup
- Curry leaves – few
(Note: Vary the amount of chilli and pepper as per your spice level)
- Heat oil in a pan and splutter fennel seeds.
- Add sliced onion and curry leaves. Cook with the pan covered and stir in between till onion turns brown in color
- Add sliced tomato and cook till tomato becomes soft.
- Add green chilli, ginger garlic paste and saute for a min or two. (Note the color of onion by this time. It should become really brown. It takes approx 20 min till this step )
- Add all the spice powders, salt and sauté for a min or two.
- Add beef pieces and mix well.
- Add water and cook till beef is cooked well and becomes soft. (For faster cooking I transferred it into a pressure cooker. Go for 4-5 whistles, switch of the stove and wait for the steam to go completely. Once beef is cooked, if you want to add any spices additional heat the curry again, add the spices and boil it for 2-3 min. If you have the option to prepare this curry in earthen ware it will taste best)