The ingredients of this dish is similar to our nadan dish Erissery, but I can’t say both are same. This dish is made with thoran concept. Frankly I got the idea from ingredients of erissery only, made it little simpler.
Mathanka & Payaru Thoran Recipe
- Yellow pumpkin (mathanga) – 250g ( 2 cup chopped)
- Red oriental beans (van payaru) – ½ cup
- Mustard seeds – ½ tsp
- Cumin seeds (jeerakam) – ½ tsp
- Small onion – 4
- Green Chilli – 3-4
- Dry Red chilli – 3
- Turmeric powder – ½ tsp
- Grated coconut – ½ cup
- Curry leaves – few
- Add red oriental beans & water in a pressure cooker and cook till its done
- Add pumpkin and ½ cup of water in a cooker and cover it with lid, without putting the cooker whistle. Steam the same for 3-4 minutes.
- Heat oil in a nonstick pan and crackle mustard seeds.
- Add cumin seeds, sliced small onions and curry leaves.
- Once onion becomes soft add green & dry red chilli. Cook for 2-3 min.
- Add turmeric powder and grated coconut and cook for 2-3 min.
- Add cooked pumpkin & red beans and mix well. Cook for 3-4 min.
- Serve hot with rice.