I got introduced to this by my Mother in law. Before marriage I can say, I hardly had mussel meat, and I never liked it much. Now I like the taste, but the time it takes in cleaning, I always keep it as the last entry in my menu. When we went for the weekly shopping my husband insisted me in buying it. We get mussel meat here but the time again for cleaning, with my little naughty one in the side, I felt there is not much chance to buy it again in the coming days. So I decided to share the recipe fast, because finally the curry to get after preparation is too good.
Kallummekkaya Olathiyathu Recipe
- Mussel meat – 400g
- Mustard Seeds – ½ tsp
- Onion – 1
- Ginger garlic paste – 2 ½ tsp
- Red chilli powder – 1- 1 ½ tsp
- Pepper powder – ½ tsp
- Turmeric powder – ½ tsp
- Coriander powder – 1 ½ tsp
- Garam masala – 1 tsp
- Sliced coconut pieces (thengakothu) – 1/3 cup
- Curry leaves – few
- Vinegar – 1 tsp
- Water – ½ cup
- Oil – 4 tbsp
- Clean the mussel meat and keep it ready
- Heat oil in a pan and splutter mustard seeds.
- Add sliced onion and curry leaves.
- When onion becomes soft add ginger garlic paste and sauté for a min.
- Add all masala, salt and sauté for a min or two.
- Add coconut pieces, cleaned mussel meat and vinegar.
- Add 1/2 cup of water and mix well
- Cook with the pan covered in medium flame till mussel meat is cooked. Remove the lid and cook till curry becomes dry. Serve hot.